Each of the Nine Dimensions needs to be nourished in order to achieve overall wellness. The environmental dimension can have different meaning for each of us, but in essence the environmental YOU understands the need for clean air, pure water, quality food, adequate shelter, satisfactory work conditions, personal safety, and healthy relationships.
Environmental wellness encompasses acknowledging the interdependence between people, the earth and other living beings. Maintaining and replenishing the resources we need to support current and future life is the goal. Caring for the animals and places that are entrusted to you in a way that ensures continued viability for all life forms demonstrates environmental maturity.
Designing work and play spaces that enable full healthful function while maximizing usability is desirable. Cultivating an appreciation for the beauty found in nature and surrounding yourself with rejuvenating, comforting, and affirming places and people contributes to your ability to refresh and revitalize yourself and enhance full capacity wellness capabilities.
Here are ten (10) simple things you can do to start or enhance your environmental wellness:
- Grow your own, or only eat fresh food. Cut down on processed foods.
- Open windows to let in fresh air.
- Open blinds to let in natural light.
- Get energy-efficient appliances and electronics.
- Take shorter showers.
- Wash clothes using cold water.
- Hang clothes on a clothesline to dry. Live without a dryer!
- Turn off lights when not in use.
- Turn off water when brushing teeth.
- Use the dishwasher or washing machine only when there is a full load.